Wednesday, June 13, 2007

HOW YOU DOIN' Part three

Hey Now:
Here is Part 3 of the first blog post in over a month.

FAREWELL TO BVA
Our very good friend, Mr. Brian Van Alstyne, of Rensselaer and Colonie, has decided to transfer to Amtrak in Sanford, Florida (near Orlando), which is one of the stops of the AutoTrain. Brian is a wry studier of life and enjoys the little (or tremendously huge) quirks he observes in folks over a period of time. He's one of those guys that you work with that does dead-on impressions of co-workers. He generally does these as asides to friends, making them bust a gut with laughter. Brian is a great guy to have around, whether golfing, drinking, attending sporting events, whatever. Brian is funny in that, even though we consider him a good friend, he likes to keep a distance and a major part of himself to himself.

As a worker, Brian has too much brains for the job he is doing. He could be making alot more money doing something in the private sector. But like some of us, he is either too complacent, too comfortable, too lazy, or too apathetic to go out and find more. I really believe that you don't need success in business, vocation, or your monetary situation to be an actual success. I think happiness is more important. I think guys like Brian, Roy, Rob, and myself are able to get themselves to a point where you can say, "No. I don't have all the money I'd like, but, Yes, I'm happy with what I have, my family, the friends I hang out with, and the things that I do.

I think Brian will always be like that. Brian's love above all is Horse Racing. I think he and Chuck the E.o D. would make a good television analyst team for the OTB network. I think a perfect day for Brian would be a morning round of golf at Hiawatha Trails (a tough Par-3 course near here), Lunch and all the festivities at Saratoga Race Course, followed by a quick trip to the Bronx to watch his beloved Yankees kick the shit out of the Red Sox. Or the NY Giants NOT getting their asses handed to them by someone from the NFC EAST.

Brian, you are truly one of the most interesting people I have ever met. Your view askew of the world, along with your unique insights have given me alot to think about and alot to laugh about. I always have fun playing golf with you and will never forget the day you got hit by Grugan's shot. I will also never forget "entertaining you" by trying to hit the ball out of the water on the 11th hole at Schenctady Muni. There are people that you are happy to see when you go into work. For me, Brian is one of them. A voice of reason (except when discussing baseball and rock music), a bringer of humor, and an understanding ear. Roy, Rob, Tim, Jeff the Palooka, and I will miss you alot. I think so will Rich, even though he can't "hit his iyahns."

I wish you all the best in the Orlando area. Please don't marry Vicki. I'm sure there is some hot Florida mommy with an oddly bent view of the world who you'll hook up with down there. Peace and Happiness my friend.

I know Brian will do well, because LEN IS RIGHT.
I am,
Len Tollerton

3 comments:

Brian said...

Gee-sus blakhin kriist
I'll wipe this tear away and ask you to marry me. Or at least a three way with Vicki.
Friendships are born in events and action, but live, really, inside. They transcend distance and time. Thanks Len, you will always be a friend.
By the way, we never talked about music. I talked about music. You talked about Maiden and Priest.

Len Tollerton said...

See what I mean, guys? I've put up with this music stuff for years.

Luchiangyuan said...

The AMTRACK situation is one that, unfortunately, fewer Americans are able to relate to and understand. There are fewer and fewer people who use their hands and sweat to make a living. The day when loyal service to the company and solid work ethic was rewarded have passed. The companies in manufacturing and skilled labor services are run by MBAs who have never spent a day swinging a hammer (much less mowing a lawn). Accountability continues to be dilluted in the American culture as more and more professions are veiled under intense bureaucracy (email, charters, work descriptions) and legal complexities. ENRON and WORLDCOM execute the greatest heist or the greatest act of incompetence in American history and only 4 people go to jail. Rand's novel "Atlas Shrugged" echoes the coming of this faceless, produce-nothing age where no one feels compelled to "keep the trains running". In other countries that seem to scare us so much (China, India) they have deplorable maintenance of trains and airplanes--causing hundreds of deaths each year. Yet, we marvel at their ability to make $2 designer clothes.

So Len, what can I offer?...First, you seem to have the right priorities: Wife and Kids. Spending your day off at Hoffman's Playland is a great example. Second, you have hung in there...rather than bolt and start the excuses (21 years of marriage and I imagine the same amt of time at AMTRACK are impressive). Third, you have not bought into the brainwashing you have been offered by various "estates". You seem to have some well considered political convictions and despite being educated within a religious school system you are not a flag waiving Opus Dei zealot. Finally, you have keen interest in those things that most only boast they once had...enthusiasm for things like Heavy Metal and sports
....often discarded in favor of mutual fund reports and crossword puzzles.

Shine on you crazy diamond.