Saturday, August 02, 2008

NEW CARS FOR THE TOLLERTONS AND BIG POKER

Rightlings:
Hello, my people!! I trust your summer is progressing along nicely. It was a busy week, highlighted by the Tollerton couple taking posession of two new (or newer) cars. Also, the Big Poker tourney at the Gunther compound happens today. Big doings.

2 BLACK VEHICLES FOR LT AND PT
My beloved '99 Ford Crown Victoria recently turned 100,000 miles. Over the last year, I've been noticing the smell of anti-freeze coming from the car, but never saw a leak on the ground. I also could never find a loosely connected hose. So I began to suspect that there was a, possibly, bigger problem going on, like maybe a blown head gasket. (Expensive repair job)

Thus, it was time to start researching new cars. For the longest time, I've admired the body styling of the Nissan Altima. So, I started looking at Consumer Reports and found a bunch of cars I thought I'd enjoy driving. I test-drove the 2008 VW Jetta (peppy, well-built, very roomy for a smaller car, huge trunk), and the 2007 and 2008 Honda Accord (not bad, not as peppy, smaller trunk, by all reports very relaible). I then considered driving a Toyota Camry. The Camry is, pretty much, hands down, the most reliable car made today. You can figure an easy 150,000-200,000 miles with normal upkeep, though I would never own a car that long. I had planned on driving the Camry, but I really wanted to drive the Altima first.

After finding out that, reliability-wise, the 2006 is better than the 2007, I narrowed my focus. I was able to locate a 2006 Altima with a 6-cylinder, rather than the normal 4-cyl, at a small, local dealership. I went up to take a look. Once inside the car, I never had another thought about the Toyota Camry. This Altima had just under 25,000 miles and had been a lease car in Pennsylvania. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the car came with heated leather seats, power moonroof, and a Bose stereo. And quick? Crackuh puhleez! I fell in love as soon as I started driving it. When I got back to the dealership, we agreed on a price and I picked the car up last Friday. Maybe I'll take all of you for a ride in it.....if you're lucky!

My unnamed spouse has been driving around in a 2000 Chevy Blazer for a few years. What a piece of shit car that is. At first, PT liked it because she had a sense of security because of the 4-wheel drive, and it was high off the road. (I think secretly she wants to be an Ice Road Trucker) Unfortunately the vehicle has a history of wheel bearing problems and everytime a bearing went, it was about $900 to repair it. Plus, the gas mileage was terrible and she has to drive 35 minutes to get to work every day.

After doing minimal research, she decided that she'd be most happy with a Toyota RAV4. It only took one test-drive to confirm that decision. I really like the vehicle, myself. Unfortunately, because she's worried about me embarassing her while negotiaing, she went to make the deal by herself and, in my opinion, lays down too easy when trying to get a price, accepting at face-value what the dealer says. So, she probably could have gotten a better price if she'd done what I suggested, but she got the car she wanted, and feels she can afford the exhorbitant (IMO) monthly payment. It doesn't come out of my paycheck, and she's happy with the car she's drivng (a black 2008 RAV4). Now, I don't have to listen to her worrying about whether or not her car is going to fall apart. I don't expect to hear any of that till the car is paid off in 6 years, either.

It's fun having a new vehicle. Mine is a BAD mofo!!

BIG POKER
Today is the big annual poker tournament at the Gunther compound. For the last few years, Joe and Sue Gunther have had a poker tourney at their house in Guilderland. I've blogged about this before. Joe makes a few kegs of home-brew, and invites 30-40 players for a really competitive poker game, which they hold under tents in their beautiful back yard. Chuck, the E.o.D., Roy the G.B. King, and the DotCom Destroyer will be there with me, along with Extreme Justin and neighbor, Don V.K. Justin and Don haven't been to this place before and I'm looking forward to getting their take when they see this place. Sue and Joe have a great house (prob. $1 million), with a beautifully landscaped yard and in-ground pool. The basement is close to the size of my house and has all of the appointments for fun (bar, pool table darts, poker, etc...). I have been champing at the bit for this day to come. Last year, I couldn't hang out too long after busting out because there was a big birthday party going on at my house for my mother-in-law and her twin brother. This year, no committments. I'm booking off from work tonight, you dig?

I know that you do, because you know LEN IS RIGHT.

Tomorrow's post will talk about last night's dinner and a movie date with the lovely PT, celebrating our 22nd Anniversary. Now that this post is done, it's time for you to do one thing for me. You need to wish me good luck, out loud, so I can win the tournament tonight. So, right now, say out loud, "Good Luck, Len. You are still a poker God!" I thank you and hope to bring home the Big Money. Be well and enjoy the weekend.

I am,
Len Tollerton

No comments: