Saturday, August 01, 2009

CONCERT WEEK AND THE BIG POKER TOURNEY

Hey Minions:
This is the back end of concert week for us here at the Tollerton compound. Last week (July 25), I began my week of vacation by taking the boys and one of their cousins to see Green Day at the Times Union Center in Albany.

We weren't interested in the warm-up act, The Bravery, an emo-punk act out of NY City. We were right. They sucked, in our collective opinion. But we weren't there for them. At 8:35, Green Day hit the stage with the title cut off their new album, 21st Century Breakdown, and then went right into their big hit off of that CD, Know Your Enemy. Let me tell ya, folks, the house was rockin', big time. Green Day played most of their big hits (thankfully omitting the dirge-like When Spetember Ends) over 2 1/2 hours. that's right, 2 1/2 hours of power-punk-pop, that had the whole place singing, shouting and doing the ol' "call and return" thing. I don't think anyone walked away disappointed. Apparently I'm getting older, as I needed to use ear plugs for a portion of the show (the songs I wasn't familiar with). At around $60/ticket, this was well worth the money. The entire band was very energetic, funny, and fun, with leader Billie Joe Armstrong giving it his all. If you like this band's music and have a chance to see them, you should make it a point to do so. I give this show a 9.5

GUNTHER/MILES POKER TOURNEY
Tonight (Sat. 8/2) is the big annual Gunther/Miles poker tourney out in Guilderland. I've written about this event before. Joe Gunther, Niko Miles and Sue Gunther have been running this top-notch event for a few years now and I've been lucky enough to attend the last three. Last year, I finished 2nd, losing to a guy named Brian Kelly, who I nicknamed "The Mountain" because of the huge mountian of chips he had piled when we started the Final Table action. It was my 2nd Final table in 3 years at this tourney. I will be playing alongside, Roy The G.B. King, Chuck the E.o.D., and Extreme Justin. Chris the DotCom Destroyer and DVK from across the street can't make it this year. But I think we'll still have fun. It would be extremely cool if we all could make the Final. 64 tough players in this one.

AC/DC ON SUNDAY
Friends, this is the Big One. Sunday night AC/DC rolls into Albany with their Black Ice tour. Me and the boys, friend Sansone and daughter, and Rugged Russom (owner of Bret and Doc the horses and Mitzi the German shepherd) will be attending this rock fest. If you've never seen them, trust me when I say, go see them NOW!!!!! They won't be doing too many more tours, if any. This band has been great each of the 5 times I've seen them.

What makes this show even better, for me, is that The Answer, the band I've been touting for the last year is the warm-up act. They are going to rip it up. I may have trouble making it to work the next day. I will NOT be wearing hearing protection for this one. Full frontal assault, my friends. Let it wash over you or leave like a beaten dog.

My review and the report of the Gunther/Miles tourney will follow this week. Hopefully, I'll be around for the end of that one. Please, folks, if you haven't bought tickets for the Albany AC/DC show, or if they're coming to a town close to you, PLEASE spend the money and go to the show. Worship, my friends, at the True Altar of Rock. Angus and the boys may be in their 50's (and 60's), but you will thank me later after your soul has been saved by music. You know the songs, you need the rock......Go and be saved.

LEN IS MOST CERTAINLY RIGHT ABOUT THIS.
Rock on, minions,
I am,
Len Tollerton

p.s. read on further for the report of the Jersy shore vacation

No comments: