Wednesday, March 19, 2008

THE FOX TROT AND MY UNION

Hiya folks:
This past Monday was Dance Lesson #3. After reviewing what we've learned with the Waltz and the Swing, we learned a new step...The Fox Trot.....oh boy!!

Actually it wasn't too bad. We (the Tollerton couple)still are most comfortable dancing with each other. The Fox Trot has the man (leader) taking 2 slow steps forward and then a step to the left and then close the feet to get back to your original position. Unlike the Waltz and Swing, where you can pretty much stay in a "box" the whole time, the Fox Trot lets you roam all over the dance floor. It is done in 4/4 time as opposed to 3/4 for the Waltz. Next Monday is our final lesson, unless we decide to continue. I'm not sure how the other person (my nameless dance partner) feels about continuing. I would do it if she really wanted to, but I don't get that impression.

If you've ever wanted to try it, I suggest getting off the wall and going for it. You only feel like a spaz for a short time. After a while, just like everything else, it becomes easier.

UNION NEWS
Len Tollerton is now the Shop Steward for Sheetmetal Workers Local 398. I accepted the position, basically, because no one else wanted to do it. My union has become very small and somewhat powerless over the years. You see, the railroad would like to eliminate Sheetmetal Workers (pipefitters) and have the other crafts just take over our work. As a matter of fact, the railroad would just as soon have only one Union, with everyone able to do all jobs. This might work if they were willing to give training to everyone, so we could all do each other's work. Without training, there's just no way. I mean, would you feel safe doing electrical work, dealing with 480V of power, w/o the necesary training? Well, that's what my railroad would like us to do.

Anyway, I'm really just responsible for writing up time-claims (claims for pay if another craft does my Union's work), defending my union members in discipline hearings, and trying to make sure open jobs are covered with Overtime. They say some people are born to greatness and others have it thrust upon them.. I fall into the 2nd category. I think my Union brothers AND local management wanted me to take this position because I don't flip out as quickly as my predecessors. I don't freakin' know. Hopefully, I'll do a respectable job.

NCAA HOOP TOURNEY
Who gives a flyin' shit??!! No, I'm kidding. I know there are alot of you out there who have been hard at work filling out your bracket sheets, hoping to find the Sleeper, like last year's George Mason University, who will surprise alot of people and go deep into the tourney. My pick for tourney greatness this year? A #4 Seed is my pick. That would be the Pitt Panthers. From what I've heard, they are the hot team right now, physical, and playing with confidence. Just remember, when filling out your sheets, that at least 2 #1 seeds will probably make it to the Final Four. Good Luck.

I went back to the gym and started working out again. Looking to lose, like, 40-50 pounds. I think I can do it just through exercise and portion control. Hopefully, I'll lose a significant amount over then next year. Oh, but how my body hurts. Too much idle time. The initial aches and pains are the only bitch I have with working out. I get no pleasure from being in the gym. But it's my best bet. Good luck to me, right?

Thanks for visiting LEN IS RIGHT. I hope to be back soon with something interesting, and not just this day-by-day tripe. I've got to find a new issue with which I can rant like an animal and make you all remember why I am like a god among men. I know you ladies out there will always feel that way about me, but Ii need to get some cred with the fellas. Peace, I'm out!

I am,
Len Tollerton

2 comments:

LRExpress said...

Dude, you'll do just fine. How can this be worse than being the CINO of the fantasy football league?

Len Tollerton said...

You're right, man. The worst that can happen is that I'll be called a deal making prick......Kind of the same as the football league.