Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Barbecue Sauce Season

Hi again everybody:
Today's blog is going to be about one of the things in life that give me the most pleasure. Barbecue sauce. See, I love summer and everything that comes with it. I love the heat, the sports, the beach, and especially the foods that go along with summer. That means grilled meats, corn on the cob, fresh local fruit and vegetables. Of course, here in the Northeast, there is a very small window for enjoying fresh corn and tomatoes. You only really get a chance to have good locally grown corn and tomatoes (and other vegetables) from the middle of July till MAYBE the end of September. The rest of the time, we get it imported from other states or countries, or you get crappy hothouse stuff.

GRILLED MEAT AND BARBECUE SAUCES
Fortunately, the same is not true for grilling season. As soon as it's no longer freezing till it begins to freeze again, we're grilling. Now I don't delude myself into thinking I'm Bobby Flay. Nor am I interested in getting into grilling stuff to the level he does. But steaks, chicken, and ribs done on the grill are a thing of culinary beauty, in my mind. I've used a variety of methods for seasoning the meat I'm grilling on a certain day. You can MARINTATE, you can do the DRY RUB thing, or you can use BARBECUE SAUCE. There is also the choice of combining any or all of the three. But beware of overkill.

Today, I'm going to talk about Barbecue Sauce. Now in past blogs I've discussed my love of Sweet Baby Ray's Original. This is the sauce I'm presently in love with. It's sweet and tangy and it complements ribs and chicken wonderfully, without taking away from the taste of the meat. Sweet Baby Ray's is available in many grocery chains across the country, so you should have no trouble finding it if you wish to try it. I think you'll be glad you did.

But there are alot of other top-quality sauces out there. One such product comes from one of my favorite Rib chains. Have you ever heard of Sticky Fingers? My buddies and I came across this place in 2005, while on a trip to the Masters golf tournament in Augusta, GA. We stayed in Columbia, SC, and found this great restaurant while looking for a place to eat on our first night. Sticky Fingers offers 5 different kinds of BBQ sauce to have on your ribs or chicken.
  • Carolina Classic
  • Carolina Sweet
  • Memphis Original
  • Tennessee Whiskey
  • Habanero Hot

You can get a rib sampler platter with all 5 sauces. Each of the first 4 are awesome and should be sampled by everyone who likes BBQ sauce. The Habanero Hot is another matter. The words Hot and Heat don't begin to describe this stuff. I have no problem with spicy foods. And in truth, this sauce has some great, smoky, Habanero flavor. For about 2-3 seconds. After that, you'd better have a way to put out the fire. And don't even try to douse it with water, because hot pepper is not water soluble. You'll need cole slaw, or fries, or ice cream...something with fat. Pal, let me tell you this stuff is Flaming.

Unless you're from the south, you may not have heard of Sticky Fingers. If you'd like to try out their sauces let me recommend you go to http://www.thesaucesite.com and click on Barbecue Sauce. This will bring you to my link for Sticky Fingers, where you can purchase any of their fine products online.

One other site I'd like to suggest you try, if you're at all adventurous, is the Barbecue Store. Again, you can find the link for this site at http://www.thesaucesite.com and click on Barbecue sauce. The link is about halfway down the page. This site has everything from grills and grill parts, to barbecuing woods for your grill or smoker. And of course they have a HUGE selection of rubs and sauces. Just look for The Barbecue Store when visiting The Sauce Site.

DRY RUBS

I use different kinds of Dry Rubs when I grill steak. I'm not big on putting BBQ sauce on steak. So I like to season liberally with a good rub. I first started experimenting with your typical Montreal Steak seasoning. Of course, being the way I am, I was not satisfied with just one kind of mass-produced spice product. So Now I just make my own using whatever I happen to have on hand. Salt, pepper, granulated garlic (not powder) are 3 of my staples. I like Emeril's Original or Bayou Blast. I also like ground Cayenne pepper.

Your best bet when making your own rub is to experiment. Assuming you keep alot of different spices on hand, the thing to do is to just start mixing. Take a small bowl or tea cup and just start throwing stuff in. Use spices that you are fond of and build from there. Spread a very thin coat of mustard or olive oil on your steak. Then spread your rub mixture on both sides and gently massage the steak, making sure to keep both sides coated. Refrigerate.

ONE CAVEAT TO GRILLING STEAK--Any grilling or barbecuing book you read will tell you that before you put the steaks on the grill it is best to take the steaks out of the fridge for while before grilling and letting them get to room temperature. This, I think, ensures that the steaks stay their juiciest during the cooking process and doesn't "shock" the meat with the quick and severe change in temperature.

As i always say...Don't be afraid to experiment. You'll be surprised at what great flavors you can discover. And as you all know....LEN IS RIGHT.

Till next time, I am Len Tollerton

No comments: