Tuesday, July 18, 2006

2 SAUCES AND A MARINADE

Hey, how is everyone today?
Today is another beautiful summer day in the Northeast. High 80's and sunny. Finally, a real summer-like week of weather. Many people complain that it's been too hot, but not me. I wait out months of cold, windy, gray, crap weather for the hot and sunny. Bring it on baby!!

THE FIRST ADVICE QUESTION GETS ANSWERED
My friend, SHEISFROMHELL, posted the question: Why is it that an Amtrak engineer can drive a train but cannot use a phone?
ANSWER: This question, seemingly, is akin to "If a tree falls in a forest and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?" First off, it must be noted that I know of the Amtrak Engineer of which you speak. His nickname at work is "The Big Dummy," which, unfortunately, tells you alot. I believe, at this point, that SHEISFROMHELL has one of two choices if she is to retain her sanity. NUMBER ONE: Call HIM on the phone and tell him to "shit or get off the pot." Explain things from beginning to end. Tell him to call or don't call again. Make plans a couple days in advance, like a scheduled date, or don't bother calling back, etc... NUMBER TWO: Blow him off and MOVE ON. If he can't think enough to call now, how will he be a year from now when it's time to remember your birthday, Valentine's Day, etc...? Don't you let the Big Dummy take girlfriend for a ride. You betta' than that, baby. You know you got it goin' on. Like the man in the Barber Shop says, "NEXT!!!" Of course you know....LEN IS RIGHT.

THE POST FOR TODAY
Today, I'm going to throw a little curveball at everyone. Instead of ranting about whatever hot topic is in my brain, I thought I'd do something that my Welcome area discusses. Sauce. And seeing that it's dead in the middle of summer, I thought I'd provide you with the recipes for 2 chilled sauces that are easy to make and one marinade to use on chicken, because I know you all love to do that grillin' in the HOT weather.

Horseradish Sauce
Here is the recipe to make Horseradish Sauce. This is great for using on sandwiches or as a dip. You can buy a pre-made bottled version in the grocery stores. A company called Woebber's makes an EXCELLENT Horseradish sauce. But many people like to use their own favorite, or fresh horseradish. Depending on your tolerance, you may want to kick up the heat by using a hotter horseradish. So, here goes:
Ingredients
2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 teaspoon dry mustard
3 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/2 cup nonfat sour cream
Procedure
In a small bowl whisk together horseradish, vinegar, mustard, mayonnaise, ground red pepper and sour cream.
Very easy and super-fresh tasting

Cool Cucumber Dill Sauce
This sauce is a real winner in summer. It goes great as a chip/appetizer dip and as a cool sauce for salmon and other fish. I eat alot of fish in the summer, so I tend to seek out stuff to put on my dinners, cause I'm never satisfied with plain.
Ingredients:
1 cup sour cream
1 cup mayonnaise
1 large cucumber, peeled, sliced lengthwise, seeded and chopped
1 Tbs. dill weed, or to taste
kosher salt to taste
white pepper to taste
Preparation:
In a bowl, combine sour cream and mayonnaise. Mix to blend. Add cucumber and dill, and mix thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper. Very easy, very quick, and it really can cool you down.

Three Citrus Chicken Marinade Recipe
In many marinade recipes, they tell you to marinate for 1-2 hours. But since I like bolder flavors, I generally marinate for longer, and ideally, overnight if I remember. Chicken on the grill, baby. That's what I'm talkin' 'bout!!
Ingredients:
1/2 c Fresh lime juice
1/2 c Fresh lemon juice
1/2 c Fresh orange juice
1/2 c Olive oil
4 Cloves garlic minced
2 ts Coarsely ground black-pepper
3 Crushed bay leaves
3 tb Chopped cilantro(also known as coriander)
Your choice of skinned-chicken parts
Directions:
Mix all ingredients in shallow wide mixing bowl.
Add chicken and marinate 1-2 hours. Longer for better flavor.
Grill or broil, brushing marinade on chicken 2-3 times.

NOW GO, MY MINIONS!! COOK! EAT! ENJOY!!
I don't know about you, but I seem to enjoy food more in the summertime. I think it's the fresher, non-hothouse produce. Doesn't a big tossed salad with lots of veggies, meats and cheeses with a gin-and-tonic or a fresh margarita always seem to taste better when you're sitting out on the patio, in shorts and flip-flops, instead of in the winter, indoors, staring out at the frozen tundra? It does to me.

You can find these recipes and MANY more at the Sauce Site.
http://www.thesaucesite.com

Taste the fresh goodness of life, my friends. Step out of your box when cooking and embrace experimentation. You may find some foods, sauces and techniques that become traditions that you can pass down to the rest of your family. Taste Life. LEN IS RIGHT loves ya baby!

Until next time, I am,
Len Tollerton

No comments: