Tuesday, July 11, 2006

RAINMAN, POKER, AND FUNERALS

What to talk about today? Several topics to whet the appetite, to be sure. First off, one of the weekend acivities and then we'll move on to a couple of other topics I've been thinking about.

RAINMAN AND THE DAYTONA AVE. POKER SHOWDOWN
This past Saturday, I attended the Daytona Ave. Summer Poker Showdown. I usually run this event, but this year the host, Big Ed, decided to take the reigns, allowing me to concentrate on my game and not be distracted by the logistical duties that go into running a tourney.

Many of the Usual Suspects were there. Myself, Big Ed, Little Ed, Fred, Roy the G.B. King, Kevin who lives lucky, and Pete the Rainman. Missing were DVK, Rob L., Ken King, Chuck the Edge of Darkness, and DotCom Destroyer.

I hadn't been in a tourney in a while. There were only 23 players, but a very competitive, very experienced group. My play was solid all day as I watched the Eds, then Fred, then Kev all get eliminated. Roy and I found ourselves sitting at the Final Table before long. I was fairly short stacked, but made a couple of huge moves and found myself close to the chip lead. One guy was knocked out and we were down to 8, when I had my first and only brain-fart of the day. I held K-Q suited in my hand and the flop comes up Q-4-9. The guy on my right me bets $3000. I go over the top of him and go All-In for $13,700. Before I can get the words "All-In" completely out of my mouth, I hear to my left, "All-In" from the voice of Rainman. I hadn't noticed that he was still holding cards. The original bettor now folds and I know I'm in trouble cause Rainman is such a crappy player, but with big-time luck, that I know he doesn't make this move w/o something. I'm right, and he turns over his Pocket 4's to make 3-of-a-kind and absolutely DECIMATES my stack. Now I'm the short stack and there's still 8 players left.

At this point I go into shutdown mode and proceed to fold and grind for 2 hours. With 6 players left, 2 of them with larger stacks than myself go All-In and Rainman calls. He knocks them both out on the same hand and now we are down to 4. I'm very happy because they are only paying 4 spots and one of the other guys is Roy. Because of where we are seated, everytime Roy deals, I am in the Big Blind. 7 straight times that Roy deals, I double up my stack (not alot), and am able to fold, UNTIL.....I, of course, get called by Rainman on an All-In and get knocked out in 4th place. Roy holds on for a few more hands to get 3rd. Raiman and the other guy play Heads-Up for the next 2 hours and Rainman finally takes him down to win his second tournament in his last 3 tries. Does he win by luck or skill? Definitely more luck, though I think his overall game has improved. I figure if I don't have the brain fart and stay within myself, things turn out differently. But who can say for sure? Maybe there was a bigger brain fart down the road and things turned out the best that they could have. Roy and I still have no plaques, while Pete the Rainman has 2. What does this tell us? I guess Roy and I are saps.

FUNERALS
Just a little opinion piece on funerals and a choice. The choice offered is either traditional casket and burial, or cremation. Here is my thinking on this. From a grief and mourning standpoint, the casket/burial method is best. You can actually see the person and seeing allows you to realize the finality of the situation. You can really get in touch with your grief when you see the body of a loved one. And in my opinion, that is the ONLY REASON to go for the casket/burial method. Folks, for many reasons, some of which I'll discuss, cremation is a FAR BETTER, more responsible choice of dealing with the remains of the departed.

First, it's ALOT cheaper. $1500-$2000 for cremation, as opposed to the price of a new car, in many instances, for the traditional method. Next, land space. Do we really need to devote more of our precious land space in this country to burying the dead? Eventually, generations down the road, we'll need the space, and people don't want to have to dig up graveyards at that point. Next, it helps the environment. Ashes biodegrade quickly, or are very easily stored at home in a small space.

I'm sure the casket manufacturerers will want my head for this, but it just makes more sense. What is the point of boxing and burying bodies? It does no one any good. It's not like we're going to use them again. We smartly harvest organs for transplant now. Why keep a carcass? The funeral industry, with the help of many organized religions, has been bilking mankind for centuries. What a scam. "Hey Jim, I've got a great idea. When people die, we'll sell their families a box for $5000. Then we'll get a law made that the box has to be put inside ANOTHER, heavier box for $3000. Then....get this...we'll sell them a 8x4x7 foot piece of land to bury the boxes in for another $1500. Then...are you ready?...we'll sell them a carved marble stone to mark the place where the box is buried, so they don't forget. Plus, we can charge them another grand or two to perform this service and say a few "prayers." I figure, anyone who dies, we can make anywhere from $7500-$20,000. People are dying EVERYDAY!!! We are going to CLEAN UP!! HA! HA! HA! HA!"

Folks, I believe, as time goes on, that it is our moral responsibility to cremate our dead. Please be real...they can't feel the flames. It's the smart choice...it's the moral choice...it's the right choice. If you really care about the Earth. If you really want to honor your departed loved ones. If you want to prove again that Len Is Right, you'll make this change in your thinking and embrace cremation. I'd love to hear your opinion. don't be afraid to leave a comment.

THE ALL-STAR GAME'S HOME RUN DERBY
Though it's fun to watch the 1st Round, I believe Major League Baseball's Home Run Derby at the All-Star Game should be done away with, or at least be changed. Why? I think it messes some of the competitors up as the season progresses. Guys that were swinging the bat well during the first half of the season, adopt a Home Run swing for the Derby. Then when they get back to the real games after the Mid-Summer Classic, they spend a couple of weeks trying to get their normal swings back. I don't think it's worth it

So how would I change it? I'd like to see a pitchers-only Home Run Derby. Or one for guys who are hitting below the Mendoza line (.200). Or how about a Home Run derby for bullpen catchers only? Because I'm telling you, if David Wright gets messed up in the 2nd Half, and it costs the Mets a playoff spot, or a World Series appearance cause he goes in the tank, I'm going to spit all the way to the Commissioner's Office.

There must be some other skills competition they can come up with besides the Power Show. Do a pitcher's Home Run Derby and maybe Throwing Acurately From the Outfield thing, along with a Run-The-Bases/Pickle competition. Everyone has fun and no one gets screwed up for the all-important 2nd-half pennant chase.

This is the way to do it folks, and you all know it because, as usual, LEN IS RIGHT

I am,
Len Tollerton

No comments: