Monday, November 19, 2007

ALEXANDER MUNDY AND OTHER POINTS

Greetings to the Minions:
Hey y'all, how was the weekend? Hey, LEN IS RIGHT is back again to discuss a couple of things...a few points of contention. Also, I'd like to see if some of you out there remember what I thought was the coolest show on TV when I was a kid.

IT TAKES A THIEF
Recently I've asked some people I know if they remember a TV show from the 60's called It Takes a Thief. It starred Robert Wagner as master-thief Alexander Mundy, who steals FOR the government in order to avoid going to prison. His boss, played by Malachi Throne, sends him all over the world on capers during the 60's Cold War-era. Al Mundy was a cross between a master-thief and a James Bond-like spy, wearing the best clothes, using the newest gadgets, and getting intimate with whatever European hottie was in the episode. In short, he was just about the coolest dude on the planet and in my opinion, the coolest guy on TV. In short, men wanted to BE him, and women just WANTED him. The show only ran for 2 or 3 seasons before it got ridiculous and was cancelled. If you've never seen the show, you'll have a really tough time finding it, as it is never played on TV Land and there is no DVD set of the series, yet.

As I look back, It Takes A Thief was one of a bunch of really cool shows to come out of that time. Some of the other ones that were favorites in my house were I Spy with Bill Cosby and Robert Culp, The Man from U.N.C.L.E. with David McCallum and Robert Vaughn, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea with Richard Basehart and David Hedison, and the Western series The Wild, Wild West with Robert Conrad and Ross Martin.

If you're under 40, you probably don't remember any of these shows, unless you caught them in syndicated reruns in later years. These days, spy/thief/intrigue-style shows often go for gritty reality with special effects. Back then, those shows, while having high-tech gadgetry also seemed to have a class and style that many shows now lack or try to hard to attain. Don't get me wrong, shows like 24, the Unit, Journeyman, and the CSI's are all really great. But I'd like to call your attention to some really great, really cool shows from past years.

A-ROD and THE YANKEES
This week we get to be treated with watching the Yanks try to re-sign the newly-named 2007 AL MVP. For fans all over the country I've got to say I hope they sign him soon. Why? Well, it's not because I'm a Yankee fan. It's because I'd like to NOT have to hear about it anymore. After A-Rod's scumbag agent, Scott Boras made his classless statement at the end of the World Series that A-Rod was done with the Yanks, there has been alot of speculation over where he'd go. As a Met fan, I really couldn't care less, as long as it's not to Atlanta. HATE THE BRAVES!!!

It IS funny, however, that A-Rod won the AL MVP as a member of the Yanks in 2005. Their fair-weather, and short-memoried fans wanted him gone in 2006, because he was having an off-year. I mean, if you're from NY State, the summer of 2006 was a 7-month long whine-fest by Yankee fans who hated A-Rod. Then...then he begins 2007 on fire and doesn't really let up (until the playoffs), and all of a sudden the fans think this guy has a seat next to God and Babe Ruth. Face it Yankee fans, he's the best all-around player in the game. You can't get anyone better and your team is lucky enough to be able to afford him. How'bout just shutting the freak up, good or bad. Without him, you're all toast.

Good thing you guys re-signed Jorge Posada. You'll need him and he's still viable for a couple more years. I happen to know a lovely Wiccan fan of Jorge who is very happy he is staying in New York.

PATRIOT CRUSH
The New England Patriots may go undefeated for the regular season, but one thing is for sure. They will be your NFL Champion come February my friends. That is, assuming Tom Brady doesn't get hurt. 5 more TD passes yesterday, with 4 going to Randy Moss. How many people thought Moss was washed up? Alot. I thought he was the perfect fit for the Pats because I knew Belicheck wouldn't put up with his ego shit. Of course, there's been no adversity this year, so stay tuned next year. Oh sure, they could let down and take a loss this season. But rest-assured, come February, they will be your champion of the NFL. Call me on this if I turn out wrong. Wait. Never mind. LEN IS RIGHT so I won't turn out wrong.

MATT CARROLL OF THE NBA'S CHARLOTTE BOBCATS
Hey, if you don't know it already, I have a cousin that plays in the NBA. His name is Matt Carroll and he plays for the Charlotte Bobcats. He starred at Notre Dame and started his career with the Portland Trail Blazers. He then moved to the San Antonio Spurs and now is the 6th man for the Bobcats. He's a very good all-around player who occasionally leads the team in scoring. He scored 16 the other night. Please check him out in the NBA boxscores. Oh, BTW, I've never met him. I was at his parents wedding when I was a freshman in high school, but haven't really seen his family since. From all accounts this is one of the good guys in sports. He signs autographs, cares about the fans, etc... His whole family was big into sports. His dad was Penn State's backup QB in the 70's and his uncle pitched in the Big Leagues for the Cincinnatti Reds. Matt's brother, Pat, starred at St. Joseph's a couple of years ago and was ranked #3 in 3-point shooting in the country. Pretty good family legacy.

LET'S NOT FORGET BOWLING
Looking for something fun to do in your off time? When's the last time you went bowling? I know it's not the glamour sport everyone thinks about. And in truth, I hadn't really thought about it for years until my kids started bowling 3 years ago. Now, I bowled from the age of 7 till Senior year of high school. I lost touch with it for years. In truth, there's little chance of me joining a league now, as an adult, because the season is so damn long (usually 30-33 weeks). If I could get into a 15-20-week league, I'd think about it.

However, if you're looking for something fun to do with friends, that's not too expensive, and ends up being alot of fun, checking out your local bowling establishment could be the way to go. I swear you'll probably be taken back to your youth and really enjoy yourself. And unlike golf, which can drive a person to madness and anger after just a few holes, bowling gives everyone a chance to do well. You might not roll 200's regularly, but everyone can string 3-6 strikes, or pick up a nice split, occasionally. Plus, it's something that's great for a first date, or a family night out, or some friendly sporting competition between you and your buds. Give bowling a try again. You'll thank me later.

Why? You KNOW why!! Because LEN IS RIGHT!!

See you soon.
I am,
Len Tollerton

No comments: