Friday, July 11, 2008

RUSH AT SPAC, BUT NOT MOHEGAN SUN/LEN ALMOST GETS FIRED

Hello there, minions:
Last Saturday night, son Jackson and I went to the Saratoga Performing Arts Center to see the band RUSH play on the 2nd leg of their Snakes and Arrows tour. Coming along for the show was Jackson's friend C.J. and his dad, Clayton.

We had inside seats (as opposed to sitting on the lawn). Rush no longer has an opening band, because their song catalog is so large. So now, they come out and play for an hour and 15 minutes, take a 15 minute break, and then play for another hour and a half. I've gotta say, it was pretty loud inside. The band opened with my all-time favorite Rush song, Limelight. They employ video screens throughout the show which go back and forth from showing the band playing, to whatever the theme of the song they're playing happens to be. For instance when they do the song, Red Barchetta, which is about driving an illegal sports car in the future when there are no gasoline engines, the screens show a car going very fast along a winding road and the screen is your view, as if you were driving. So there was ALOT of sight and sound going on. These guys are virtuoso musicians and in my opinion, they were definitely on their game this night. The weather was beautiful and the crowd was definitely into it, singing along with most songs and cheering loudly after each song.

This proved to be a little too much for friend C.J., who was attending his first rock concert. At 11 years old, I don't think he was ready for the loudness of the music and the excitement and size of the crowd. His dad took him up onto the back part of the lawn where it was a little less intense and he was able to get a break. Next time, I think he'll be okay and ready for a show, because he'll know what to expect. The kids are now getting to the age where we'll just be dropping them off at shows (after age 15 or 16) with their friends, and summertime is concert time. Jackson spent the whole second set headbanging his long, blonde hair and holding up his hand with the "devil's horns" sign. I had to explain to him that Rush is not a metal band, so he had to change hand signs to the peace sign. (By the way, you know dad will probably be going to many of the same concerts the kids go to, because I like rock music)

NO MOHEGAN THIS TIME
Two nights later, I had tickets to the Rush show at Mohegan Sun. Since friend Roy was out of town, friend Chuck is recovering from heart surgery, and my other friends either couldn't get a day off from work, or couldn't afford the cost of the show, the hotel, and gambling, I was left to either go by myself or eat the tickets. Since it's no fun to go alone, I ended up eating the tickets. Brother-in-law Dave was supposed to go, but couldn't get it off from work. Too bad, because he's a drummer, and Rush's drummer, Neil Peart, was unbelievable all night at Saratoga. He did his customary 10-15 minute drum solo, and in my opinion, he is the only guy in rock who SHOULD do a solo. The concert drum solo has become so trite that I think it takes awayfrom the flow of most shows and reduces the amount of songs the band plays. But this guy is, hands down, the best. In the middl of the solo, his drum kit does a 180 degree spin and he re-seats himself and starts playing on electronic drums that have all sorts of sounds programmed into it. All of a sudden, you've got music and sounds going on that he is triggering with drum sticks. He ends up doing a straight jazz drum solo with jazz music and a film clip of Neil's idol, Buddy Rich, playing behind the kit. I think Dave would have really enjoyed it. Too bad.

I think people should take days off from work to enjoy life once in a while, other than weekends. Am I the only one that feels empowered by live music? C'mon, people, live a little!! Your job will still be there when you get back. That is, except, for friend Stan G., who is a rural route mail carrier and would probably get fired by the gestapo-like Post Office if he took an unscheduled day off. Stan and I were sidekicks just after high school and we went to every show that came to the area and many that were out of the area, back in the early 80's. Stan had a '73 Chevelle SS that was the concert ride and party boat during those years. Truly, I wonder how we made it home many nights, seeing as we were so horrendously impaired most times. But that's info for another post.

Eating $225 worth of tickets is NOT RIGHT!!

LEN ALMOST GETS FIRED FROM THE RAILROAD
As I may have stated before, I am now the Shop Steward of the Sheet Metal Workers Union where I work. For years now, management has liberally used a rule that allows other Crafts to do my union's work. Our last 2 Shop Stewards have laid down and been useless in arguing this rule. This rule, which is in our contract, was not negotiated, but imposed on my union by a Presidential Emergency Board in 1992. Anyway, I'm really tired of seeing it used. So I wrote some letters a couple of weeks ago to members of other Crafts who were doing our work. I asked them not to do our work anymore, or at least don't do it unless directed by a Foreman (refusing a directive can get you taken out of service for insubordination).

Well, the letter I wrote was written in a friendly tone, not threatening at all. Well, one of the Machinists felt threatened, even though his actions were jeopardizing, in the long run, my family's well-being. So, he went up to management with the letter and the letter was sent to the Railroad's Labor Relations Dept. in Washington. Labor Relations called my Union and told me they were recommending that I be fired for trying to cause a work slow-down. Luckilly, I was able to talk my way out of it, and I didn't get fired, or even disciplined. I was, however, asked not to write anymore letters to other co-workers. There's actually alot more to this story, but I won't bore you with it.

Suffice to say, LEN IS RIGHT, and the Railroad is WRONG. But you probably knew that, anyway. No matter. Right or wrong, they hold all of the cards, so I lose. But the fight goes on. If I don't put up resistance, I can't look at myself in the mirror, or look my family in the eyes. I'm sure you understand.

LIR would like to welcome new readers, leggy Wendy from the Railroad and Stan G. to the Len Is Right family of minions. From now on they will be referred to as Leggy Wendy and Stan G on posts. Kind of like Jen Came, who by the way is happily expecting a new baby in about 6 months. Congrats to Jen Came (hopefully, she did!!)

Be well and enjoy the weekend.
I am,
Len Tollerton

No comments: