Tuesday, July 22, 2008

THE SHARK, THE SYD, THE MOVIES

Hey Now!!
Here we go with another LIR post. A bunch of stuff to talk about.

THE SHARK
First, the Great White Shark, AKA Greg Norman. The Open Championship of golf (British Open) was held this past weekend. For the first 3 rounds, the leader was 53-yr. old Greg Norman. Norman was my favorite golfer back in the 80's-90's. He was the bridge, for me, between My all-time favorite, Jack Nicklaus and my present favorite, Tiger Woods. For a time, years ago, Greg Norman was as dominant as anyone had ever been in the sport, except for Major Championships. And except for an infamous meltdown in the '96 Masters, Norman could have, should have won, probably, 3 more Majors, but didn't because of lucky, unbelievable shots by other golfers (Larry Mize and Bob Tway for example).

Anyway, for 3 days last weekend, Norman played fantastic golf for the conditions and gave anyone over the age of 40 the hope of a really wonderful result. It would have been a win for the ages to be sure. Greg didn't have as good luck on Sunday's final round and finished 3rd, 6 shots behind the eventual winner. And it is my contention that if the stupid, freakin' hype-loving media would have left him WITHOUT asking about choking on Sunday, or what it would mean for a 53 year-old guy to win a Major, or whatever, and just let him play his game, he very well may have done it. Thanks to all of the sportswriters and TV reporters. Maybe you're supposed to be able to handle that at that level. But it was ridiculous, some of the questions he was asked. For me, it was a great thing to see, a hero in the lead after 3 rounds, 10 years after he lost his hold on being #1. I'll bet only folks from the United Kingdom were rooting for Padraig Harrington. I'm pretty sure that the rest of us were pulling for Greg Norman to pull an '86 Nicklaus on everybody. Nice job, Shark. We're all really proud of you.

THE SYD
We attended the graduation party of Sydney Luce, daughter of close friend Roy the G.B. King, over the weekend. Congratulations Syd, and best of luck at SUNY Geneseo in the fall. We had a nice time at the party, despite the crushing humidity on Saturday afternoon. Enjoyed seeing Chuck, th E.o.D. sitting up and taking nourishment. I was fairly subdued the whole time, cause I knew I had to go back to work that night at midnight, after being off a week for vacation.

THE MOVIES
Last week we saw two movies. I love giving my funds to Regal Cinemas. Anyway, we saw Hancock and Hellboy2. Obviously not date flicks. Both were enjoyable popcorn movies with ALOT of action. Will Smith played an unlikeable super hero, with Jason Bateman playing a guy trying to improve Hancock's image. Some good fun and a surprising twist in the middle that changes the movie.

Hellboy 2 was one for me and the boys. Lots of fantastic action, comedy and destruction from the big red guy and an evil elf that wants his race to control humans and the planet Earth. One of Hellboy's crime-fighting partners was this guy who was very fish-like. He ended up reminding us of C-3PO from Star Wars, only not as much of a priss. He would actually fight.

If you're looking for mindless action fun at the movies this summer, check out these two films. Our next two must-sees are Wanted and The Dark Knight. Oh, and by the way, can we just say that Heath Ledger did a fine job as the Joker and not ordain his job in the Dark Knight as the second-coming of God-like performances worthy of an Oscar, just because he's dead. If he hadn't died NONE of the critics would be giving anything more to this flick than kudos for action. Face it, the critics just want something to hype. Let's play off of the dead guy, shall we?

Alright, that's it for now. Just wanted to keep in touch. Football is just around the corner, folks. But first, I haven't played any golf in a month and I'm going to Florida on August 10th. I better get some practice in or my father-in-law's friends in Palm Harbor are going to take all my money and think I really DO suck (not just in April). Okay, I do. But only to the tune of shooting between 84-95. Not struggling to break 100 like in April.

This has been LEN IS RIGHT. I'll talk with you soon.

I am,
Len Tollerton

No comments: