Tuesday, June 17, 2008

TIM RUSSERT AND JUDGE TOOMEY

My friends:
With this post, I'd like to just throw my two cents in on top of the already heaping pile of adulation and sadness at the death of NBC's Tim Russert.

I only watched Meet The Press once in a while, I must admit. I'm not much of a political guy, so often, the show did not interest me. However, I would like to say that I had alot of respect for Tim Russert because he was always there. He always asked the tough questions, or the ones that NEEDED to be asked. Although I believe that the NBC news department will feel the biggest void at Tim's passing, I think ALL of America should feel a sense of loss. Mr. Russert's passing leaves us without a strong, guiding voice in political news and that's big considering we're in the middle of a Presidential election. NBC's reporting of Mr. Russert's death and the tributes that have followed have been poignant and heartfelt. They've also given us some insight into the man behind the scenes. From these, I've gleaned that our country is much better off having had him in the position he was in, and that we have all, truly, lost someone that mattered to us, even though we might not know it right now. In the coming months and years, I think the fall-out of losing Tim Russert will be felt by all Americans.

So, how do we bounce back from all of this? Who can we look to to step in and try to fill Tim Russert's seat on Meet the Press? Well, we can sit idly by as NBC trots out journalists and talking heads to just fill a chair, but I truly have the answer for you, folks. I happen to know someone who I think could ably fill the bill.

My high school friend, Judge Paul Toomey of Averill Park, NY is my pick for the new host of Meet The Press. Why? Well, let me tell you. I've known Paul since 9th Grade. The first day I met Paul, I was struck by the fact that he already knew what he wanted to do with hs life. He was going to be a lawyer and, hopefully someday, the Mayor of Albany. Paul comes from a long line of lawyers and his sister is also a judge. Paul was the only kid I knew who was into politics in high school. He always used to talk with the teachers about stuff going on in the City of Albany, like he had an inside track or an ear to the wall. I remember the day that my wife and I were able to break the news to Paul that he had passed the NY State bar exam. (We knew someone at the NY State Board of Law Examiners who gave us the early news) Paul set up a table with champagne in his driveway to surprise his wife, Lisa, when she came home from work.

Since then Paul has become the head of the NY State Legal Resource Center (helping other judges in the State make correct decisions), and has become a local judge, himself. While listening to the tributes NBC did on Tim Russert, I was struck by how much his life parallleed Paul's. They both went to Catholic schools and faith played a large part in both of their lives. They were both fiercely devoted to their favorite sports teams (Tim, the Bills and Nationals. Paul, the Packers and the Mets). Their families are the most important things in their lives. They both have deep love of politics. People generally perk up when both enter the room, looking to get in some conversation time or an opinion from someone in the know. Both speak well in public and have both been teachers. I have often been counseled by Paul in any number of topics (legal, family, relationships, etc...) and have often been brought back in from the ledge, so to speak, when my emotions got the best of me and I needed the calming influence of someone who was objective and level-headed. David Gregory of NBC news related a story that when his first son was born, Tim Russert made him a pillow with his name on it, and that was Tim's "signature gift" for all of his friends' newborns. When my first son, Connor was born, Paul called me and told me to appreciate my first 2 weeks with my baby, because he would never be that small again. Looking back, my eyes still well up the same way they did the day he said those words to me. He was right. You can't get time back and we had better all appreciate each passing day. Finally, the guy has always had his finger on the pulse of politics (especially local) during his adult life. People have, it seems to me, always asked for his opinion or help. And although there have been times when he has become easily offended by personal comments, I think he, more than anyone I know, would be perfect in the role of Meet The Press moderator. I also know, without a shadow of doubt, that he is reading this and saying out loud, "Dude, you're fuckin' crazy." Yes, my friend the judge occasionally uses the term "Dude."

So, NBC executives TAKE NOTE!! When looking for an able, politics-loving, sharp replacement for Tim Russert, who, despite his lack of experience as a journalist, would do the same kind of homework and would approach the job with the same zeal as Tim Russert, look no further than Averill Park's own son of Albany, Paul Toomey. No, he is not your typical pretty-faced broadcaster talking head. He is, in my opinion, the PERFECT option for NBC news. And although Paul may think I'm joking around, I am completely serious. Vote For Pedro? No. NBC needs to Vote For Paul.

If you know Paul, please feel free to leave a comment. If you don't know Paul, all you REALLY need to know is, LEN IS RIGHT.

Peace to my people.
I am,
Len Tollerton

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you ask him he will tell you he is too shy to do that job! But the worn out microphone doesn't lie. I second the motion Judge Toomey for President (oops) err Meet the Press!