Saturday, January 12, 2008

GOOD LUCK MIKE W.

Hey minions:
Today's post is just some good wishes sent along the wire to a friend from my youth.

Mike Wesoloski is a guy from Colonie that I was friends with through another common friend. He always knew he wanted to be a soldier. He was in Active Duty for the Army for a few years, got out, and then got back in when Iraq started.

His son, Mike, is the captain on my son Connor's bowling team. Last May, Mike, the elder, got his orders to go to Iraq for a year. It's funny how you don't really think about it much if you don't know anyone who's over there. But when you know someone who is going, it kind of wakes you up. When he left, in May, I admit to misting up a bit when I said goodbye to him. You don't know if you're going to see someone again, so it affects you, if you have a heart.

Anyway, Mike came home for 2 weeks over the holidays, and I think he REALLY was glad to be home. No duh, right? The pictures he's sent back have painted a picture of a bleak and desolate landscape teeming with camel spiders, scorpions, and DIRT. What? Are you freakin' kidding me? Why on earth would people choose to live there? This is what Allah did for you Muslim folks, huh? Jeez, sign me up for the Taliban. Idiots.

So, Mike went back to Iraq this past week. He'll be released from his duty in May. Hey Mike, My wish for you is to return home safe and healthy and that the next 5 months flies by at warp speed. You know your family will keep the home fires burning. And now, my blog minions will be thinking about you, too.

Hey folks, I heard Mike is a little homesick since he went back (a phenomenon that happens when you get to come home in the middle of your term). I know you guys rarely respond to my questions. But I'd like to request that all of you send Mike an email with some positive words. We'd both really appreciate it. Don't let me down folks. It'll only take a couple of minutes.

Mike Wesoloski can be reached via email at: wezski@aol.com
Thanks.
Remember, always, that LEN IS RIGHT!
I am,
Len Tollerton

No comments: