Wednesday, January 02, 2008

WHAT'S UP FOR 2008

People of mine:
Welcome to 2008. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss. Right? Well, maybe, maybe not. As usual, the world felt the exact same to me after the ball dropped last night. Of course, I had been up for the previous 32 hours, so I may have been a little world-weary. Or maybe just weary.

So many of us make the famous New Year's resolutions. Quit smoking, lose weight, get a better job, be nicer to people or treat my loved ones better are some of the ones you often hear. The vast majority have often failed by the end of the week, let alone the end of the month. But we all like to believe we have a clean slate on New Year's Day, right? We like to have the Promise of Potentiality. That is, we like to believe that there is half a goddamn chance that the potential for a better life, or a better US begins on January 1. Folks, in reality, this is the weak-minded looking for a crutch. Hey, you want to do something bad enough, you aren't going to wait around till the end of the year to make it happen, are you?

You know it's time to quit smoking. Since December 1st, I've only had 3 cigarettes. The meds I've taken (Chantix), have made it so I don't really even think about smoking. No lie. I thought I'd have a problem when I had a few drinks. But that hasn't been the case at all. The 3 that I've had were out of boredom, or because I was agitated by some dickhead in the world who caused me some grief. I know it's too soon to tell, but I really think I'm over ciggys.

I, personally, have only 2 other things I'd really like to accomplish this year. One would be to lose about 40 lbs. and get stronger, physically. To do this, I am going to have to force myself to actually get my ass into the health club I belong to. The other thing is to become a MUCH better guitar player than I am now. To do this, I'm going to have to do more than just practice. I have to spend some money and take a few lessons. At $14/half-hour, I think I can afford to take a few lessons. What is my goal? Besides being able to play well for my own enjoyment, I'd like to be able to jam w/ other musicians or friends that play, and not embarass myself. I guess I'd like to impress people once in a while.

I know that NONE of you will respond on this site, but I'd like to hear a few of the things that my Minions are trying to accomplish this year. And if you're going to email me or respond to this site, make it something that you REALLY plan on doing. No past glories. Just honest thoughts of the future, okay? Make it as funny as you can, because we all need some comedy in our lives, too. Like, I've always wanted to be a rock star. But I realize that I'm far past that point now. Besides the music industry is a young person's game. But I think I could stand in front of a crowd, with a mike in hand, and belt out some vintage hard rock, and still hit a high-note or two. I'd REALLY like to stand in front of people and rip off a blistering solo on a guitar. That's my goal for 2008. Become a competent guitarist. Hopefully, I'll be able to devote enough time for it. The question arises: Does anyone really want to see a middle aged, balding, fat bastard wailing metal classics on a Dean guitar?

How come it takes so many of us (and I mean myself) to need the aging process to gain wisdom? I know a bunch of people who knew what they wanted at an early age and went after it as soon as High School was over. Guys like Paul the Judge, Sean the Spy, and Patty the Lovely 5th Grade Teacher always knew what they wanted to do. Me? I knew but had feet of clay, and was never able to get past discouragement or setbacks. The love affair with the Kind bud hasn't helped in that regard either.

But now I can see a little more clearly. It's probably a good thing I never became a rock star, cause I'd probably be dead or institutionalized by now. These days, I have the wisdom to know that I can do things to please myself without having to be a STAR. It's nice to be able to know something in your mind without having to prove it to millions.

I am rambling on without direction, now, so I'll end this rant. I'll just leave you with this thought. IT'S ALL INSIDE OF YOU. UNLOCK YOURSELF AND BELIEVE IN YOU. If you don't, no one else out there cares enough to take the time to drag it out of you. You know that LEN IS RIGHT. Now it's time for all of you to go out and be right. You can do it.

I am,
Len Tollerton

1 comment:

Book Diva said...

The Year 2008....in the spirit of not having it all be about me...I hope to make those around me know how important they are to me - I want happiness for my friends and family and I would like to see some peace for this crazy world.